- Business Management
- Husbandry & Welfare
- Grazing Management
What to do
Producing rangeland goats that meet market specifications is one of the most obvious methods of improving profitability. The first step in marketing your product to maximise returns is to understand the market specifications and more importantly, to draft and deliver to those specifications.
To meet market specifications, particular management knowledge and skills are required including:
- Understanding the specifications and requirements of the target market.
- Assessing and monitoring the progress of animals towards target market specifications and/or drafting goats to meet market specifications prior to trucking.
- Managing the grazing system to achieve growth targets and successful market outcomes.
- Seeking feedback from the market and implementing practices to improve the management of the production system.
- Evaluating marketing options regularly.
Inconsistent goat carcases such as these can be difficult to market
How to do it
Module 8: Marketing of the GiG Guide provides details regarding the markets for goats and goatmeat. Of particular relevance to rangeland goats is the information regarding:
- Commodity export goatmeat
- Live goat export
Live goat export
The main live export market for goats is Malaysia, Table 5.1 provides specifications for this market.
Table 5.1: Specifications for live goat export to Malaysia
|Generally young goats||Boer, Boer cross and suitable rangeland for slaughter (red headed)||Male||Prefer heavier goats|
|Young females||Red headed Boers for breeding||Female|
Commodity export goatmeat
The main export markets for Australian goatmeat are USA, Taiwan, Canada and the Caribbean. Other markets include Malaysia, Singapore and the Middle East. Table 5.2 provides an overview of export markets and their requirements.
Table 5.2: Export goatmeat market requirements
|USA||8-16kg carcase weight||Skin-on, lean|
|18-23kg carcase weight||Skin-off, lean|
|Taiwan||14-16kg carcase weight||Skin-on, lean|
|Malaysia||<10kg carcase weight||Skin-off, lean|
|20kg carcase weight||Skin-off, lean|
|Boneless very lean meatin cartons|
|Singapore||<22kg carcase weight||Skin-off|
|Middle East||8-14kg carcase weight||Skin-off|